Hearing the word “hobbies” usually inspires thoughts of knitting, needlepoint, and puzzles. If you’re looking for something a bit out of the ordinary to try instead of “crap-booking”, then search no further.
1. Recreate celebrity jewelry for a fraction of the cost by visiting your local craft store.
2. Help out your county’s humane society, or animal shelter, by fostering a pet until they’re adopted.
3. Check the online listings for nearby film locations in need of extras.
4. Once a week cook a meal from a different country.
5. READ A COMIC BOOK!
6. Try your hand at indoor, or hydroponic, gardening.
7. Buy a metal detector and see what you can find. (You never know!)
8. Take a tour of your area’s most haunted locations and dare to test your strength.
9. Make a stop motion short film featuring various items around your house.
10. Ever wonder what it’s like to work a completely different job? Ask someone for a job shadow, or ask a police officer for a ride along.
11. Invent a new sport because let’s face it – if Frisbee golf is a real thing, then you can definitely invent a random game.
12. Create a board game.
13. Start a collection like antique teapots, teddy bears, or old issues of your favorite magazine.
14. Tie a letter to a balloon with a link to your social networking profiles and release it. See who you meet.
15. Rent or buy a telescope and star gaze on a clear night.
16. Watch your favorite actor or actress’ entire filmography.
17. Join or start your own Live Action Role Play (LARP) group!
18. Learn a few magic tricks to impress your friends or earn a few free drinks.
19. Mail a card with $5 inside to random people in the phone book and don’t include a return address. Encourage them to do the same when they have an extra $5 to spare.
20. If you’re with a friend or two and you have a good camera on your phone, you should definitely be Vadering. You just should.